Monday, September 1, 2014

Missing Little Penguin did not survive injuries

Media release: 1 September 2014

Thanks to the efforts of the community and media, the plight of a Little Penguin that went missing at Manly Wharf last Thursday has been revealed with the animal sadly succumbing to its injuries over the weekend.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) Little Penguin Co-ordinator, Ranger Melanie Tyas said it was disappointing that the bird did not survive.Ms Tyas said:

"The past few days have really shown how much Sydneysiders care about their Little Penguins and  we’d like to thank the community and media for all their assistance. We now know that the bird had been attacked by a natural predator, possibly a small shark, when it was found and taken by a concerned local to a vet who unfortunately could not save it. We always feared it would not survive the injuries that it was reportedly carrying so while it is not surprising, it is always disappointing. NPWS will now collect the penguin so that it can be identified via its microchip and provided to Taronga Zoo for assessment. We are very lucky to have such an active and interested community working together to protect and report on the local Little Penguin population including the volunteer penguin wardens, Manly Council, local vets and many others in the community. I suppose this unfortunate incident highlights that if anyone finds a sick or injured penguin, put it in a box and keep it warm and notify NPWS or Taronga as soon as possible."

NPWS said that last year was the most successful breeding season on record, so we are very excited about the future of this colony.

Sydneysiders should report all sick and injured Little Penguins to NPWS duty officer on 9457-9577.


No comments: