Thursday, June 18, 2009

Celebrate the Pittsburgh Penguins with some Pittsburgh penguins

Penguins Saluting Penguins illustration by MYRLA

Celebrate the Pittsburgh Penguins with some Pittsburgh penguins
June 17, 1:22 PM
Story by Mark Yarris

I know I am not the only one who has made the connection… we have our Stanley Cup Pittsburgh Penguins, but we also have their polar cap counterparts, the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium penguins. Both are flightless wonders, both are excellent on ice, and both are Pittsburgh favorites. The only thing I don’t think our champion Pittsburgh Penguins would be apt to go jump in ice cold water to chase after some fish! But you know what? Both complement each other and both make Pittsburghers proud!

The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium’s little black and white penguins act as an unofficial mascot for our black and gold ones. And our ice skating, two legged igloo dwelling Penguins are a visible advertisement for our small sure footed featherless bird friends. Those little guys at the zoo were even rooting for their bigger namesakes during the playoffs! I noticed that they had acquired a Pittsburgh Penguin banner and hung it in their habitat, proudly displaying their love for their favorite hockey team! I am curious as to how they were able to obtain that banner and how they kept up with the Stanley Cup playoff action.

But the penguins at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium are fascinating creatures to watch, whether they are swimming around or just intermingling among themselves. They are probably the star attraction right now in Pittsburgh, next to their human counterparts. I’m sure the Pittsburgh Penguins winning the Stanley Cup gave a boost to attendance at the zoo and aquarium.

I have been to numerous zoos over the years and visited the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington, D.C. a couple of weeks ago, but I still think the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium is one of the best, if not the best. I might be bias and it might be because some very good landscape architects helped design some of the animal exhibits, but the settings, the presentations, the animal care, it’s some of the best I have seen outside of Disney or Bush Gardens. (And by the way, I am bias toward Pittsburgh and I am a landscape architect.)

I must confess, I have not made a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium for a couple of years now and think it’s about time to take my three year old grandson and rediscover what this great place has to offer the young and old alike. I need to go even if it’s just to celebrate the Pittsburgh Penguins with some real Pittsburgh penguins!

Join me. Get out and about this summer and visit the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium. Do it for the penguins!

Source:
http://www.examiner.com/x-11002-Pittsburgh-Day-Trips-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Celebrate-the-Pittsburgh-Penguins-with-some-Pittsburgh-penguins

No comments: