Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Baby penguin nuzzles up to a tourist in Antarctica... then clambers all over him

  • Joel Oleson from California was on a private chartered tour to Antarctica
  • The 41-year-old was taken to a rocky beach by a guide to view penguins
  • He lay down to look as small and approachable as possible to the birds
  • Oleson captures moment on film as bird climbs on him and pecks his head
Penguins are usual wary creatures but when Joel Oleson visited a beach in Antarctica he made a surprising new furry friend. 
Oleson, 41 from California was on a private chartered tour to Antarctica when he caught on camera the intimate meeting between himself and a baby penguin.
The SharePoint expert for Microsoft was speaking at a series of technical conferences in Antarctica and South America when he had his unusual encounter. 




 
 
 Joel Oleson, 41 from California was on a private chartered tour to Antarctica when he met a new furry friend
 Joel Oleson, 41 from California was on a private chartered tour to Antarctica when he met a new furry friend
On one day during the tour a guide took him to a large penguin rookery with thousands of penguins along a rocky beach. Oleson says, 'Our guide explained that we should not approach the wildlife, but that if they approached us that was OK. 'He said, the smaller you appear to them, the less intimidating you'll be. So he said it was better to kneel or bend down. I thought if that was the case, then my best case would simply to be to lay down to make myself very small. 'As I lay there, the baby penguins became curious.'
Oleson is a SharePoint expert for Microsoft and was speaking at a series of technical conferences in area
Oleson is a SharePoint expert for Microsoft and was speaking at a series of technical conferences in area
The penguin clambers over his neck and appears completely unfazed as his wing rests over his face
The penguin clambers over his neck and appears completely unfazed as his wing rests over his face
In the footage - filmed by Oleson - a baby penguin approaches him and begins to peck at his head and face. The penguin clambers over his neck and appears completely unfazed as his wing rests over his face and he shifts about, gently nuzzling him, before sliding back onto the rocky beach  to continue pecking at his hat. Oleson says of the experience, 'As they approached me, I was thinking I need to be very still so I don't scare them. They were so cute with the way they walk with their little wings held back as they waddled.
Oleson says: 'As they approached me, I was thinking I need to be very still so I don't scare them'
Oleson says: 'As they approached me, I was thinking I need to be very still so I don't scare them'
While Oleson was surprised how friendly the little bird was it wasn't his first encounter with penguins
While Oleson was surprised how friendly the little bird was it wasn't his first encounter with penguins
'As one approached my head and started pecking around I wondering how sharp their beak was. At one point a baby penguin was pecking my forehead and face. I was filled with feelings of wonder and awe.'

The US technology expert said that the adult penguins kept their distance but the babies were more curious and he didn't notice any hostile or agitated behavior such as hissing or loud chattering.



While Oleson was surprised how friendly the little penguin was it wasn't his first encounter with the flightless breed of bird.  'I'm lucky in that I've spent time with penguins including Jackass penguins near Capetown in South Africa, and on Philip Island with fairy penguins in Australia, so this wasn't my first time spending time with wild penguins. The jackass penguins were very territorial and would nip at you and hiss if you got too close' 

You can read more about Olseon on his travel blog at travelingepic.com

source 

No comments: